Like all North Carolinians, the NCHSAA Staff is monitoring the impending arrival of Hurricane Florence. Per policy, the regular season schedule is primarily governed by the member schools and conferences. On Monday, due to numerous calls and emails, the NCHSAA offered the following suggestions for schools and districts to consider as they evaluate upcoming schedules:
- Pay attention to state officials and orders issued from the Governor’s office
- Local school policies must be adhered to during the regular season
- Every decision should be made with the safety of all participants in mind. This includes players, coaches, students, spectators and any others.
- The NCHSAA Handbook Rule 2.2.8 addresses postponed contests and should be considered when it becomes necessary.
At this time, it is premature to think about whether the regular season will be extended, and playoffs pushed back. Any announcement, if necessary, would come from the NCHSAA office at the appropriate time and would be communicated to member schools before it is communicated to media and the general public via the Association website.
We encourage all North Carolinians to take necessary precautions and follow safety guidelines issued by local and state governmental agencies. Let us all make the right call by looking after ourselves, our families and our neighbors during the next several critical days in our state.
– Que Tucker, NCHSAA Commissioner