DENTON– South Davidson High School recently dedicated its new field house in honor of a veteran coach who has retired.
Howard Hayes was honored as the new facility was dedicated and officially named the Howard F. Hayes Community Fieldhouse.
Hayes, a 1958 graduate of Catawba College, had a lengthy career as a teacher and coach. Among his stops as a head football coach were Surry Central, East Davidson, the old Vance High School in Henderson, and South Davidson. He has also served on the Board of Directors of the Fairgrove Family Resource Center.