CHAPEL HILL, NC – Over the last two weeks, the NCHSAA Staff conducted the annual regional meetings, one in each of the eight regions. The Association would like to thank all of our host sites as well as the Superintendents, Principals, Athletic Directors, Coaches, Regional Directors and special guests that attended.
During those meetings, the NCHSAA gave out both the Charlie Adams Distinguished Service Awards and the NCHSAA Special Person Awards.
The Charlie Adams Distinguished Service Award, in honor of the long-time NCHSAA executive director who retired from that post in January of 2010, is presented annually to one individual in each region to an individual with at least 10 years of experience in education and athletics who is still active in the field and has regularly gone “above and beyond” the call of duty at both the local and the state level.
The Special Person Award goes to an individual, not in any specific category or role, who has been a supporter of the North Carolina High School Athletic Association and its mission to serve the member schools and their student-athletes. The roles the award winners play and their involvement in the NCHSAA is varied.
See the list of award winners below.
- DSA Chad Williams, First Flight High School
- Special Person Vic Ramsey
- DSA Doug Kidd, Swansboro High School (Not There)
- Special Person Jimmy Rouse
- DSA Deran Coe, Wake County Public School System
- Special Person Dr. Tim Taft
- DSA Freddie Williamson, Public Schools of Robeson County
- Special Person Ernie Purnsley
- DSA John Kirby, Eastern Alamance High School
- Special Person Cheri Sharp
- DSA Ericia Turner, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
- Special Person Riley Fields
- DSA Jim Childers, East Burke High School
- Special Person Butch Parker
- DSA Sue Moon, North Henderson High School
- Special Person Rick High
- Special Person Jay Smith