SOUTHPORT—Kevin O’Connell of Morrisville Green Hope fired his second under-par round of the tournament on Tuesday to win top individual honors in the 71st annual North Carolina High School Athletic Association state 4-A men’s golf championships at the Reserve Club at St. James Plantation.
O’Connell had a 141 total, good for a five-stroke margin over a pair of juniors, Adam Stephenson of Greenville Rose and Nik Peterson of Charlotte Providence. Stephenson took second place in with a birdie on the first playoff hole.
Green Hope, which held a six-stroke lead over Southern Pines Pinecrest entering the final round, wound up with a whopping 29-stroke advantage to coast to its second consecutive 4-A crown. Green Hope had its second sub-300 round of the tournament Tuesday to record a 592 total, with Pinecrest back in second at 621. Of the 12 individual rounds in the tournament by Green Hope golfers, there were 11 scores of 78 or better.
Charlotte Providence was third at 625 and Wilmington Hoggard tied with Raleigh Broughton for fourth, 37 shots off the pace.
The best four of six individual scores count toward the team total.
Prior to 1986, all NCHSAA schools competed for a single title in an open tournament. Play went to three classifications in 1986 and then to four classes beginning with the 1998 tournaments.
The championship was held on a par-72 layout set at 6,500 yards or the NCHSAA event, and a total of 88 golfers competed in the two-day tournament. Wendy’s and the Carolinas Ford Dealers are the presenting sponsors of the NCHSAA sports program.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
MEN’S 4-A GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS
The Reserve Club at St. James Plantation, Southport
TEAM STANDINGS — FINAL
1. Morrisville Green Hope 297-295—592
2. Southern Pines Pinecrest 303-318—621
3. Charlotte Providence 319-306—625
4. Wilmington Hoggard 315-314—629
Raleigh Broughton 316-313—629
6. Charlotte Myers Park 312-319—631
7. Matthews David Butler 319-314—633
8. Wake Forest-Rolesville 309-328—637
9. Wilmington New Hanover 332-318—650
10. Northwest Guilford 327-330—657
11. East Forsyth 338-334—672
12. Greensboro Page 329-358—687
INDIVIDUAL LEADERS — FINAL
1. Kevin O’Connell, Morrisville Green Hope 71-70—141
2. Adam Stephenson, Greenville Rose 73-73—146*
3. Nik Peterson, Charlotte Providence 74-72—146
4. Josh Brock, Wilmington New Hanover 73-74—147
5. Justin Evans, Southern Pines Pinecrest 74-73—148
Kyle Sonday, Morrisville Green Hope 78-70—148
7. Jordan Walor, Wake Forest-Rolesville 73-77—150
Harrison Ashworth, Fuquay-Varina 75-75—150
9. Will Almand, Morrisville Green Hope 73-78—151
10. Daniel Meggs, Matthews David Butler 74-78—152
Tim Smith, Matthews David Butler 78-74—152
Jack Fields, Southern Pines Pinecrest 76-76—152
13. Michael Cromie, Morrisville Green Hope75-78—153
Jonathan Miles, Wilmington Hoggard 77-76—153
*took second with birdie on first playoff hole