The late George Cushwa helped establish Thomasville High School as a football powerhouse during his tenure there. A World War II paratrooper, Cushwa was a 1949 graduate of Appalachian State. He went on to become a teacher and coach at Bethel Hill and Roxboro Highs, the latter his own alma mater, before going to Thomasville in 1959. From that time until 1983, his Bulldog teams recorded marks of 90-47-6, including a Western North Carolina High School Activities Association (WNCHSAA) championship. His overall career record stood at 159-72-8. Cushwa coached in both the Shrine Bowl and East-West games and was active in the North Carolina Coaches Association, serving as president in 1975. He is in the North Carolina Association of Educators Hall of Fame and the Thomasville football stadium now bears his name.
July 8, 2019