NFHS Fall Sports Officials Appreciation Week will occur October 1-7, 2023, as part of NFHS High School Activities Month!
Participation in fall sports officials’ appreciation week can be as simple or as extravagant as state associations and/or schools want it to be. Many schools will not only get their teams involved in the fun but will ask student groups on campus to get involved. It is a great community project for school student councils, spirit groups, or other groups that serve as ambassadors to your school and community. Here are some ideas that have worked throughout the country:
- Officials’ appreciation week banners and signage on the fence, wall, etc., surrounding the contest playing area.
- Gift cards/cookies/donuts/other items were presented to the crew by the home and visiting team.
- Photos of the officiating crew with both teams and coaches before the start of the game (or at the end, depending on timing).
- Read a PSA at the start of the game, thanking the crew for working the contest.
- Student escorts of the crew onto the field/court/pitch.
- “Thank you” cards, signed by the team and coaching staff.
- Special appreciation signage in the officials’ locker room.
- Recorded “thank you” messages from student-athletes and coaches to officials, posted on social media.
These are just some examples of what schools can do – endless possibilities! Schools, please post your initiatives on social media and tag the NFHS on the following social media platforms:
Feel free to email any outstanding examples to Donna Pappas at email@example.com so the NFHS can maintain their library. If a school celebrates officials’ appreciation weeks at other times of the year, let NFHS know so that they can showcase it.
Recognizing and appreciating officials may seem like a “little thing” but it goes a long way and, encourage schools to thank their officials all season long – not just during a special week.
Other Appreciation Weeks
Winter Sports Officials Appreciation Week – January 7-13, 2024
Spring Sports Officials Appreciation Week – April 14-20, 2024
Dana Marie Pappas, CAA
Director of Officiating Services, NFHS