CROMIE TAKES TITLE, LEADS GREEN HOPE
TO CHAMPIONSHIP IN NCHSAA 4-A GOLF
PINEHURST— Michael Cromie of Cary Green Hope fired a six-under par 66 on Tuesday to win the individual crown and to lead his team to the championship in the 73rd annual North Carolina High School Athletic Association state 4-A men’s golf championships at Pinehurst number four.
Cromie, who was tied for fifth after the first 18, had a 36-hole total of five-under par 139, good for a five-shot advantage over runner-up Quent Mather of Charlotte Myers Park. Mather and Harrison Ashworth of Fuquay-Varina ended regulation with even par 144 totals, Ashworth closing with an excellent 67on Tuesday. But Mather birdied the second hole of a sudden death playoff to take the runner-up spot.
Andy Knox of Apex, the first-day leader, wound up in a tie for fifth. The championship was held on a par-72 layout set at 6,658 yards or the NCHSAA event.
Cary Green Hope won the team title for the third time in the last four seasons and fourth time in the last seven years. Green Hope had an eight-shot advantage over Charlotte Providence and 13 over third-place Charlotte Myers Park.
The best four of six individual scores counted toward the team total.
Prior to 1986, all NCHSAA schools competed for a single title in an open tournament. Play went to three classifications in 1986 and then to four classes beginning with the 1998 tournaments.
A total of 84 golfers played in the two-day tournament. Wendy’s is the presenting sponsor of the NCHSAA sports program.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
2009 MEN’S 4-A GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS
Pinehurst Resort and Country Club, Pinehurst number four
FINAL TEAM STANDINGS
1. Cary Green Hope 305-296–601
2. Charlotte Providence 304-305–609
3. Charlotte Myers Park 317-297–614
4. Northern Durham 306-311–617
5. Southern Pines Pinecrest 310-308–618
6. Apex 311-313–624
7. Alexander Central 320-306–626
8. Clayton 326-306–632
9. North Mecklenburg 324-309–633
10. Winston-Salem R. J. Reynolds 318-319–637
11. Greensboro Grimsley 324-315–639
12. Fayetteville Jack Britt 341-327–668
FINAL INDIVIDUAL LEADERS—par 72
1. Michael Cromie, Cary Green Hope 73-66–139
2. Quent Mather, Charlotte Myers Park 72-72–144
3. Harrison Ashworth, Fuquay-Varina 77-67–144
4. Stratten Waldt, Northern Durham 72-73–145
5. Andy Knox, Apex 70-78–148
Patrick Sawrey, Smithfield-Selma 73-75–148
Zach Munroe, Charlotte Providence 76-72–148
8. Logan Harrell, Huntersville Hopewell 77-72–149
John Conners, Apex 75-74–149
10. Sam Packard, Southern Pines Pinecrest 79-71–150
11. Andrew Crotts,Alexander Central 76-75–151
Zach Hamilton, Charlotte Providence 77-74–151
Jack Cottrill, Charlotte Myers Park 77-74–151
Mitchell McGlamery, Morganton Freedom 78-73–151
* Mather wins playoff on second hole of sudden death to take second