ADVISORY: NCHSAA BASKETBALL PLAYOFFS
The North Carolina High School Athletic Association has released the following information about the NCHSAA basketball playoffs, which have been hit hard by the snow across the state.
A total of 13 first-round games in all classifications, out of 128, have been completed in the men’s bracket, with 20 of the 128 first-round games completed in the women’s brackets.
Here is information and adjustments:
• any NCHSAA basketball playoff game which could not be played on Thursday should be rescheduled for Friday, February 27
• if Friday is not available, games should be played on Saturday. Schools are urged to play as early as possible in the day to avoid potential unfavorable travel conditions
• Sunday afternoon is an option for playing first-round games only; anybody wishing to exercise this option should contact the NCHSAA for permission. First-round games only may be played on Sunday; this provision does not allow any schools to practice on Sunday
• all first round games must be completed by Sunday, March 1
• second round games must be completed by Monday, March 2
• third round games must be completed by Tuesday, March 3
• regional tournaments will be delayed and will start on Thursday, with four games on Thursday, four on Friday and then the championship games on Saturday
“These extraordinary circumstances have caused us to make significant adjustments in the NCHSAA basketball playoffs,” said Davis Whitfield, commissioner of the NCHSAA. “We sincerely appreciate the cooperation of superintendents, principals and our member schools in working with us to complete the basketball playoffs.”
Schools are reminded that it is important to update the appropriate section with details of game time and date on the NCHSAA basketball brackets.