Oct 30, 2007
BUIES CREEK – Raleigh Wakefield’s Courtney McKim rallied on Tuesday to take medalist honors in the North Carolina High School Athletic Association state 4-A women’s golf championships at Keith Hills Country Club.
McKim, in a five-way tie for third two shots off the pace after Monday’s opening round, had a two-under 71 to capture the championship with a 149 total, five shots better than a trio of golfers. Apex Middle Creek’s Courtney Rousse, Gastonia Ashbrook’s Courtney Taylor and Stephanie Wagstaff of Asheville A.C. Reynolds were all knotted in second at 154.
Par was set at 73 on the 5,638-yard layout on Keith Hills Course 1.
First-round leader Megan Burnham of Gastonia Ashbrook had a 76 on Monday, but recorded an 84 in the final round to finish at 160, in a tie for tenth. Katherine Perry of Raleigh Athens Drive was in second after the first round with a 77, but she also wound up with a share of 10th after a Tuesday round of 83.
Northwest Guilford, which finished second a year ago, maintained its lead in the team standings and won by four shots over Gastonia Ashbrook. Charlotte Myers Park wound up in third.
The best three scores of a team counted toward the team totals, and a total of 78 golfers and 12 teams competed in the two-day, 36-hole event.
Play did not got underway until 9:20 on Tuesday morning, a delay of almost an hour and half over the previously announced tee times, due to frost.
Wendy’s and the Carolinas Ford Dealers are the presenting sponsors of the NCHSAA sports program.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
2007 STATE 4-A WOMEN’S GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS
Keith Hills Country Club—Course 1
Tuesday Results—Final Team Standings
1. Northwest Guilford 243-247—490
2. Gastonia Ashbrook 247-247—494
3. Charlotte Myers Park 260-242—502
4. Wilmington Ashley 259-256—515
5. North Mecklenburg 256-263—519
6. Chapel Hill 260-265—525
7. Southern Pines Pinecrest 275-258—533
8. New Bern 276-259—535
9. Wake Forest-Rolesville 260-276—536
10. Raleigh Broughton 270-272—542
11. Greensboro Grimsley 280-271—551
12. Morrisville Green Hope 285-284—569
Tuesday’s Results—Final Individual Leaders
1. Courtney McKim, Raleigh Wakefield 78-71—149
2. Courtney Rousse, Apex Middle Creek 78-76—154
Courtney Taylor, Gastonia Ashbrook 78-76—154
Stephanie Wagstaff, Asheville Reynolds 79-75—154
5. Jessica Hook, Wilmington Ashley 78-78—156
Michelle Ahn, Chapel Hill 78-78—156
Lizzie Bundy, Clayton 80-76—156
8. Tatum Briele, New Bern 83-75—158
9. Shannon Prunty, Northwest Guilford 82-77—159
10. Gretchen McLean, Fayetteville Byrd 80-80—160
Megan Burnham, Gastonia Ashbrook 76-84—160
Katherine Perry, Raleigh Athens Drive 77-83—160