The mission of the Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC) is to help ensure the health and safety of student-athletes who participate in NCHSAA sponsored sports and activities, by using evidence-based practices when making suggestions, opinions, and recommendations to the NCHSAA Board of Directors and staff.
- Advise the NCHSAA on health and safety issues as they relate to student-athletes of member schools.
- Assist the NCHSAA leadership and membership in making informed decisions that contribute to the minimization of risk associated with student-athlete participation in education-based athletics.
- Aid the NCHSAA by gathering current best practice data on health and safety-related issues.
- Enable the NCHSAA to proactively address health and safety concerns and risk management issues that impact member schools.
- Support the NCHSAA in working cooperatively and efficiently with other key health and safety stakeholders.
- O. Josh Bloom, M.D., MPH
- Scott Barringer, M.Ed., LAT, ATC, CAA, EMT
- Ronnie Beverly, M.S., CAA - Athletic Director at Lexington High School
- Derrick Bridges, M.A., LAT, ATC
- Doug Browning, M.D., LAT, ATC
- Kevin Burroughs, M.D.
- Dwayne Durham, M.Ed., LAT, ATC
- Ellen Essick, Ph.D.
- Bert Fields, M.D.
- Emily Gaddy, MS, LAT, ATC
- Jack Hamrick, M.D.
- T’Keyah Hargrave, LAT, ATC
- Stanley Harrison, M.D.
- Eric Maggio, LAT, ATC
- Sharon Moore, Ph.D., LAT, ATC
- C.T. Moorman, III, M.D.
- Courtney Phelps, M.A., LAT, ATC
- Johna Register-Mihalik, Ph.D., LAT, ATC
- Alicia Rhodes, LAT, ATC, EMT-B
- Timothy Taft, M.D.
- Kristen Thacker, MSEd., LAT, ATC