WHISPERING PINES— Concord’s Cydney Clanton fired a blistering three-under par 68 on Tuesday and rallied to win the individual crown at the North Carolina High School Athletic Association state women’s 1-A/2-A/3-A golf championships at the Country Club of Whispering Pines.
Clanton was a shot behind first-day leader Emily Street of Chase entering the final round, but wound up winning the title by eight shots over Salisbury’s Lauren Smith, who tallied 76’s on both days.
Street, who was the state runner-up last year to three-time champion Blair Lamb of East Henderson last year, had a final day 81 to finish at 156, tied for third with Williamston’s Faith Hardison.
Salisbury held on to its first day lead to take the team championship, recording a 325 to beat runner-up Wilson Fike by 17 shots. Asheboro was third and Skyland T.C. Roberson placed fourth.
Salisbury finished third among 1A/2A/3A teams last year, 20 shots behind champion East Henderson.
The best two scores of a four-person team count toward the team totals. The West Course at Whispering Pines measures at 5,534 yards for this championship, in which 20 teams are competing.
A total of 80 golfers participated in the third annual tournament. Wendy’s and the Carolina Ford Dealers are the presenting sponsors of the NCHSAA sports program.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
2005 WOMEN’S STATE GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS—CLASS 1-A/2-A/3-A
Country Club of Whispering Pines
FINAL TEAM STANDINGS
1. Salisbury 162-163—325
2. Wilson Fike 172-170—342
3. Asheboro 172-176—348
4. Skyland T.C. Roberson 184-166—350
5. Forest City Chase 174-177—351
6. Burlington Williams 182-174—356
7. Lake Norman 189-191—380
8. Eastern Randolph 194-189—383
Belmont South Point 198-185—383
10. Cameron Union Pines 187-200—387
11. Southeast Guilford 190-198—388
12. Hampstead Topsail 200-189—389
Nash Central 200-189—389
14. Alleghany 199-193—392
15. Charlotte Catholic 205-194—399
16. Pikeville Charles B. Aycock 200-214—414
17. Eastern Alamance 212-211—423
18. Southern Alamance 218-211—429
19. North Lincoln 219-221—440
20. Black Mountain C.D. Owen 245-229—474
FINAL INDIVIDUAL LEADERS (80 golfers total)
1. Cydney Clanton, Concord 76-68—144
2. Lauren Smith, Salisbury 76-76—152
3. Emily Street, Chase 75-81—156
Faith Hardison, Williamston 76-80—156
Kristin Vincent, Burlington Williams 81-75—156
6 Abby Booles, Hickory 79-78—157
7. Courtney Gunter, Porter Ridge 79-81—160
8. Leahanna Newton,Western Alamance 83-78—161
9. Amy Otteson, Wilson Fike 83-85—168
10. Marta Guerra, Asheboro 84-89—173
Allison Lee, Salisbury 86-87—173