The mission of the NCHSAA is to provide governance and leadership for interscholastic athletic programs in North Carolina that support and enrich the educational experience of students.
The North Carolina High School Athletic Association Grant Program is designed to support its member schools by providing funding to enhance student-athletes’ physical wellness, psychosocial well-being, mental health, and life-skill development. School administrators will identify an unmet need facing student-athletes in their school that relates to one of the following:
- Student Services Program Supplementation
- Sportsmanship Initiatives
- Character Development
- Career Exploration and Post-Graduation Preparation
- Coaches Education
- Fostering Diversity and Inclusion
- Additional Training and Clinics
- Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Physical Wellness
- Social and Emotional Learning (Mental Health Initiative)
- Cultivating Healthy Relationships
- Equipment and Maintenance
- Equipment and facility upgrades
Schools will submit grant applications in the online application on the following cycle:
- Applications are open for submission September 1, 2020 – November 30, 2020
- Grant recipients will be selected by March 15, 2021
- Notifications to all applicants regarding their status will be sent by March 31, 2021
- Grant funds will be dispersed to schools with the evaluation report form by April 1, 2021
Selection Criteria and Eligibility
Only NCHSAA member schools are eligible to request/receive grant funding through the NCHSAA Education-Based Athletics Grant Program.
The selection committee will be made up of representatives from all 8 regions and include retired school administrations, current City/County Athletic Directors, and current NCHSAA Staff.
Priority will be given to proposals that demonstrate the largest need and number of student-athletes impacted.
Schools that are awarded a grant are eligible to receive a grant the following year if one of the following conditions apply:
- Grant application has been submitted for a different area of focus
- If a school applies for a grant under the same area of focus, the application must detail how it will expound upon previous program
Funding will come solely from interest earned on investments made through Association-driven funding mechanism. Available grant funds may vary year-to-year based on market volatility and interest returns.
Individual grants awarded to member schools will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and pending that all application criteria have been met.
Grant amounts will be decided by assessing the following:
- Estimated cost for program or initiative
- Current funds in place
- Other sources of funding
- Evidence of a concerted effort to acquire funds
Funds may NOT be used to support any of the following:
- Political activities or attempts to influence legislation
- Salaries or supplemental income
- Any activities that serve for personal gain of an individual
- Ancillary activities such as programs, advertising or special events not related to the purpose(s) of the NCHSAA Mission and Core Values.
Program Evaluation and Measurement
Upon grant fund distribution, schools will also receive an evaluation report. After the program or initiative has been activated, a detailed report updating the fund usage, number of student-athletes impacted, and future expansion on the area of focus will be required to be considered for any future funding.