POSITION: Assistant to Sports and Championships
High School diploma or equivalent and at least one year of office assistant or secretarial experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The position requires the following knowledge, skill and ability to perform the job successfully:
- A basic understanding of high school athletics as well as general knowledge of North Carolina geography and office administration.
- Ability to determine priorities and work independently.
- Skilled in public relations with the ability to develop and maintain relationships with NCHSAA staff, membership and outside entities while maintaining tact and diplomacy.
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
The individual in this position will serve the NCHSAA in a full-time role, Thursday through Wednesday each week, in accordance with the NCHSAA Handbook, no more than 40 hours per week.
Reports To: Assistant Commissioner of Sports and Championships
Responsibilities and Duties:
The following duties are normal for this position and are not to be considered as exclusive or all-inclusive.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of NCHSAA policies, procedures and regulations as they relate to, customer service, office support and the administration of the NCHSAA’s sports programs. Participate in the development and implementation of office procedures for the Sports and Championship Department.
- Serve as a first point of contact via-telephone for the Sports Department, screening incoming calls, forwarding calls and taking messages with a friendly and professional demeanor.
- When necessary retrieve, open, sort and disseminate incoming mail for the Sports and Championships Department.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to the Sports and Championships Department, including filing and photocopying pertinent documents.
- Provide recordkeeping assistance to the Sports Department, including reviewing, reconciling and updating appropriate databases.
- Assist with post-event correspondence, expense computation and the determination of travel reimbursements made to participating member schools.
- At the direction of the Assistant Commissioner of Sports and Championships, work with the Director of Systems Administration to maintain and update Sports pages on the NCHSAA website.
- Maintain electronic databases for the Sports Department including coaching vacancies, open dates, fines and violations, sanctioning and sport registration.
- Compose letters, memos and emails on behalf of the Sports and Championships Department.
- Schedule, plan and assist in the set-up of various meetings for the Association and Sports Department.
- Provide competent customer service to member schools and other entities who may contact the Sports Department.
- Provide assistance, when necessary and authorized, to the Championships and/or Marketing Departments with production, organization, and distribution of Championship credentials.
- Provide assistance, when necessary and authorized, to the Sports and Championships Department with the organization, placement, and distribution of materials and equipment at various Championship venues.
- Work collaboratively with each NCHSAA Department to achieve departmental and Association goals.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Commissioner of Sports and Championships as well as the Commissioner.
Medium Work: Exerting up to fifty pounds of force occasionally, up to twenty pounds of force frequently, and up to ten pounds of force as needed to move objects.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the provision of the NCHSAA policy manual and assessment instrument for administrative personnel.
The NCHSAA and its employees are ineligible to participate in the State of North Carolina benefits and retirement system.
The North Carolina High School Athletic Association is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
From the link below, submit a cover letter, resume and a list of five professional references. Reference information should include name, position, relationship to applicant, telephone number, and e-mail address.
The NCHSAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for submission of applications: July 24, 2017