1912 Idea for a state high school athletic association was born.
1913 NCHSAA founded and first state playoffs conducted.
1924 First Annual Meeting Governing body expanded to include high school superintendents and principals. Membership recorded at 137 schools.
1947 New constitution adopted (forerunner of present organization).
1952 State Board of Education recognizes important role played by NCHSAA and patterns its athletic rules after those of the Association.
1959 North Carolina Athletic Officials Association jointly sponsored by NCHSAA State Department of Public Instruction and the Western North Carolina High School Activities Association, is created. First Supervisor of Officials/Assistant Executive Secretary hired.
1967 Member schools of the North Carolina High School Athletic Conference (the organization for predominantly black schools) join NCHSAA.
1968 Girls’ Advisory Committee appointed to be responsible for girls athletic program.
1971 Statewide catastrophic insurance policy instituted.
1973 Association accepted responsibility for conference alignment.
1976 Plans begun for new NCHSAA office building. Association becomes incorporated.
1977 Western North Carolina High School Activities Association schools join NCHSAA.
1978 NCHSAA Headquarters completed and occupied.
1979 Simon F. Terrell Building officially dedicated.
1988 NCHSAA celebrates 75th anniversary.
1990 Concept of NCHSAA Endowment is approved.
1991 Student services program is begun.
1994 Wing is added to Simon F. Terrell Building
2003 NCHSAA celebrates 90th anniversary.
2010 NCHSAA becomes independent, non-profit corporation unaffiliated with UNC.