The NCHSAA Staff has been working closely with the NCHSAA Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC) on these recommendations for member schools regarding activities that align with NC DHHS directives. The guidance utilizes a phased approach for NCHSAA athletes and is intended to help school administrators, coaches, parents, students, and communities navigate a gradual reopening of high school athletic activities.
The health and safety measures outlined in this plan are formed utilizing the most current CDC, DHHS, and NCHSAA information. It is recognized, however, that the information and circumstances concerning COVID-19 remain fluid and variable. Therefore, these guidelines are subject to change in conjunction with new knowledge of COVID-19 or changing social conditions.
- Posted February 25, 2021: FAQs for Executive Order 195
- Posted March 26, 2021: FAQs for Executive Order 204
- Media COVID-19 Information and Guidance - Posted November 10, 2020
- Modified Sports Manual This is a 'live' document and when revisions are made, this document is automatically updated. Users of this document need to recognize that a printed or downloaded copy could be outdated. Individuals are encouraged to check this page frequently when referring to this manual, so the up-to-date version is being used.
- 2020-2021 Playoff Bracketing information
- June 5, 2020: The NCHSAA Board of Directors met via ZOOM to discuss the latest updates from Governor Roy Cooper and the Department of Health and Human Services, to guide member schools regarding activities.
- June 15, 2020: The NCHSAA lifted the current Dead Period, provided each Local Education Agency (LEA) gives it's okay and permission to do so. It is to be understood that Superintendents and local Boards of Education control when they will allow activities to resume in athletic facilities and venues.
- July 23, 2020: The NCHSAA Board of Directors voted to provide Phase Two guidance to member schools regarding conditioning and workout activities. Schools were encouraged to consult LEA administrators relative to local rules and regulations.
- August 3, 2020: The NCHSAA Phase Two Guidelines become effective.
- August 12, 2020: Release of amended 2020-2021 NCHSAA Athletic Calendar. Link to archived article and video
- August 26, 2020: Amended guidelines distributed to membership and posted online. The purpose of the new document is to provide clarity and guidance for skill development incorporated into the Phase Two Guidelines.
- September 8, 2020:
- Modified Skill Development
- a total of 25 persons in an indoor venue
- a total of 50 persons in outdoor venues.
- Created Modified Sports Regulations
- Calendar: In addition to playoff dates, the following changes were approved:
- Increase season limitation from 10 to 14 meets for Swimming, Cross-Country, and Track & Field
- The date for the cheerleading invitational changed from May 1, 2021, to May 22, 2021
- Modified Skill Development
- October 15, 2020 (Sports Manual) & November 10, 2020 (Media Guide):
- Media COIVD-19 Information and Guidance posted November 10, 2020
- The Modified Sports Manual now incorporates and replaces information from all previous guidelines.
Specific updates include:
- Updated health and safety guidelines, including the most recent CDC and NC DHHS information (All such updates are shaded in orange.)
- Specific updates relative to football and lacrosse equipment shaded in orange
- Detailed Cross Country, Swimming & Diving, and Volleyball regulations and sport-specific modifications
- Specific spectator information is highlighted in yellow
- Calendar and basic skill development information for all other sports
- 2020-2021 Sports Calendar- No changes from Sept 8
- Authorization for an Exemption to Mandatory Mask Requirement Updated Dec 9, 2020
- Daily Monitoring Form Updated Nov 17, 2020
- Initial Screening Form – must be signed prior to beginning workout
- Physical Examination Form – dated on or after March 1, 2019
- Positive Case & Quarantine Verification Form Updated Dec 16, 2020
- Return to Duty Form - after a coach or staff member has a positive COVID-19 test result Updated Oct 27, 2020
- Return to Play Form - after an illness or injury Updated Jan 25, 2021 NOTE: This form replaces the "Return to Play Form - after a negative COVID-19 test result" form.
- Return to Play Form - after a student-athlete has a positive COVID-19 test result Updated Oct 27, 2020
- Wilson Cleaning Recommendations for Game Balls Updated March 1, 2021