Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- 2013 BB&T/NCHSAA Football Championships Central
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Code of Conduct
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
CARY – Senior Sarah Kirkley knocked home the only goal of the game with just 1:23 left to play to lift defending champion Raleigh Broughton to a 1-0 decision over Charlotte Providence in the North Carolina High School Athletic Association state 4-A women’s soccer championship at the SAS Soccer Park on Saturday.
It was Broughton’s nine NCHSAA state title and 13th appearance in the state championship game in the last 15 years. The Caps now have an incredible 68-7 record all-time in NCHSAA women’s soccer playoff competition.
Casey Nogueira, voted the Most Valuable Player of the championship for the second consecutive year, distributed the ball to Kirkley after Kelly Attayek had saved the ball from going out near the end line.
Molly Baird recorded the shutout in goal for Broughton, which allowed only eight goals against all season long.
The Caps finished the season 26-0-1 while Providence wound up 20-3-1. It was Providence’s third appearance in the finals, and all three have been against Broughton. The Panthers won the ’97 4-A crown and were runners-up in 2001.
NCHSAA 4-A STATE WOMEN’S SOCCER CHAMPIONSHIP
SAS SOCCER PARK
Raleigh Broughton 0 1 -- 1
Charlotte Providence 0 0 -- 0
78:38 B – Sarah Kirkley (Casey Nogueira).