Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- 2013 BB&T/NCHSAA Football Championships Central
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Code of Conduct
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
CARY – David Hopkins of Winston-Salem Preparatory stopped William John’s bid for a third consecutive North Carolina High School Athletic Association's state 1-A men's singles tennis championship at the Cary Tennis Center on Saturday.
Hopkins defeated the two-time defending champion from Mount Airy in the finals in straight 6-3 sets. The Mount Airy standout made the state 1-A singles finals in each of his four high school seasons, winning titles in ’04 and ’05 and finishing second in ’03 and this year.
The Elkin duo of Matthew Wurdeman and Nick Holcomb won the doubles title, beating the Jordan-Matthews team of Jonathan Petty and Jonathan Scheetz, 6-4, 7-5.
In the nine years of a separate 1-A championship, an Elkin team has made it to the doubles finals eight times and the Buckin’ Elks have now earned six state crowns, including the last four in succession.
Wendy’s and the Carolinas Ford Dealers are the presenting sponsors of the NCHSAA sports program.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
2006 STATE MEN'S 1-A TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Cary Tennis Center, Cary
David Hopkins (Winston-Salem Prep) def. William John (Mount Airy) 6-3, 6-3.
Matthew Wurdeman-Nick Holcomb (Elkin) def. Jonathan Petty-Jonathan Scheetz (Siler City Jordan-Matthews) 6-4, 7-5.