Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- 2013 BB&T/NCHSAA Football Championships Central
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Code of Conduct
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
A.L. BROWN PRINCIPAL GETS HONOR
KANNAPOLIS-- Kevin Garay, principal of A.L. Brown High School, has been named the Kannapolis City School district’s Principal of the Year, according to the Salisbury Post.
Since Garay became principal in 2009, A.L. Brown’s graduation rate has jumped more than 16 points and is now among the best in North Carolina.
Garay also has been instrumental in launching the new STEM Academy at A.L. Brown. As soon as funding for the STEM project was approved, he got teachers involved in planning the new wing. He said he wanted to make sure it was designed around curriculum and not just architecture.
Garay has also integrated an international component and emphasis on health into the new STEM Academy. Besides Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, the STEM Academy features the teaching of world languages and international studies. There also is an ESL (English as Second Language) Welcome Center that helps non-English speaking families register children for school and connect with resources in the community. The STEM Academy also includes a Health and Wellness Center that houses the school nurse and provides wellness resources for students.
Garay will now represent his school system in the regional competition for Principal of the Year in North Carolina.
“Kevin Garay has done a remarkable job as principal of A.L. Brown High School,” said Superintendent Dr. Pam Cain. “He is a tremendous leader who truly keeps the focus on students. He hires outstanding people and gives them the resources they need to serve students well. I am so proud of the work he and his staff have done, and he is very deserving of this honor.”