Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Code of Conduct
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
NCHSAA 1-A MEN'S TENNIS
NCSSM'S TURNER WINS SINGLES CROWN IN THREE SETS; BISHOP McGUINNESS PAIR TAKES DOUBLES CHAMPIONSHIP
CARY-- Russell Turner of Durham's North Carolina School of Science and Math rallied to win the singles title in a tough three match on Saturday morning in the North Carolina High School Athletic Association state 1-A tennis championships at the Cary Tennis Center.
Turner came back to beat Elkin's Tyler Macy 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 for the championship. Both finalists had won each of their two matches in straight sets and each lost only four games in the process on Friday.
Macy was the 2010 singles runner-up, losing to Mount Airy's Nicholas John in last year's final.
Kevin Weckworth and Joseph Riazzi of Kernersville Bishop McGuinness took the doubles title with a straight set victory over the Mount Airy duo of Mitch Kessler and Eric Belton, 6-2, 6-3.
The Mount Airy team had advanced to the championship by defeating Brackin Kirkland and Charles Colhoun of Hendersonville in a third-set tiebreaker, 7-5, 2-6, 7-6(5), in the Friday semifinals, after outlasting Alex Dunham and Jordan Deloatch of Raleigh Charter in a three-set match Friday morning.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
1-A STATE MEN'S TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
CARY TENNIS CENTER
Russell Turner (Durham N.C. School of Science and Math) def. Tyler Macy (Elkin) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.
Kevin Weckworth-Joseph Riazzi (Kernersville Bishop McGuinness) def. Mitch Kessler-Eric Belton (Mount Airy) 6-2, 6-3.