Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- 2013 BB&T/NCHSAA Football Championships Central
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Code of Conduct
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
BURKE COUNTY FACILITIES NAMED IN GLEN ALPINE
GLEN ALPINE --Two well respected athletic figures from this Burke County community are scheduled to be honored on Saturday, according to the Morganton News-Herald.
The special dedication event will name both the football field and press box at the former Glen Alpine High School facility.
The football field will be named the “Coach Ralph E. Wilson Football Field,” while the green and white press box will be called the “Coach Graham ‘Pee Wee’ Anderson Announcer’s Box”.
Coach Ralph “Jug” Wilson was the head football coach of the Glen Alpine High School Green Wave from 1949-73, where he captured 15 Skyline Conference football championships. He also served as the head coach at Freedom High in Morganton from 1973-82 and was inducted into both the Western North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame and the Burke County Sports Hall of Fame in 1995. He died in 1999.
Anderson played on the first Glen Alpine football team – which was known as the Gobblers – coached by Wilson in 1949 and went on to coach for years in the Glen Alpine Recreation Department. Anderson is now 76 years old.