Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
HIGHLAND TECH’S BUNNER TAKES INDIVIDUAL HONORS,
TOPSAIL IS TEAM CHAMP IN NCHSAA 1-A MEN’S GOLF
SILER CITY-- Greg Bunner of Gastonia Highland Tech had a two-under par 70 on Tuesday to capture the individual championship in the 12th annual North Carolina High School Athletic Association state 1-A men’s golf championships at the Siler City Country Club.
The championship was held on a par-72, 6519-yard layout for the NCHSAA event.
Brunner carded a 141 for the tournament, eight shots better than Stanhope Johnson of Kernersville Bishop McGuinness. Topsail’s David Donovan was third, nine strokes back.
David Kostyal of Topsail, who had a 76 on Tuesday, excited the crownd with a hole-in-one on the 15th hole.
Topsail, which was second last year to four-time champion East Surry, recorded a 624 to win the team title by 14 shots over Kernersville Bishop McGuinness. Misenheimer Gray Stone Day placed third and North Stokes fourth.
The best four of six individual scores counted toward the team total.
Prior to 1986, all NCHSAA schools competed for a single title in an open tournament. Play went to three classifications in 1986 and then to four classes beginning with the 1998 tournaments.
A total of 81 golfers competed in the two-day tournament.
Wendy’s is the presenting sponsor of the NCHSAA sports program.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
2009 MEN’S 1-A GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS
Siler City Country Club, Siler City
FINAL TEAM STANDINGS
1. Hampstead Topsail 310-314—624
2. Kernersville Bishop McGuinness 325-317—638
3. Misenheimer Gray Stone Day 325-317—642
4. North Stokes 321-325—646
5. Gastonia Highland Tech 327-324—651
6. Polk County 336-346—682
7. Rosman 353-341—694
8. North Johnston 357-345—702
9. Williamston 366-352—718
10. Midway 369-353—722
11. Seven Springs Spring Creek 381-395—776
FINAL INDIVIDUAL LEADERS
1. Greg Bunner, Gastonia Highland Tech 71-70—141
2, Stanhope Johnson, Bishop McGuinness 75-74—149
3. David Donovan, Topsail 71-79—150
4. Ryan Wilson, North Stokes 75-76—151
5. Damon Goin, North Stokes 73-79—152
Erik Benson, Misenheimer Gray Stone Day 77-75—152
7. Parker Lewis, Hayesville 79-75—154
8. Josh Whitehead, Topsail 76-79—155
Sarah Almond, Misenheimer Gray Stone Day 79-76—155