Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
TOPSAIL LEADS TEAM STANDINGS IN NCHSAA 1-A MENíS GOLF;
PAIR TIED FOR INDIVIDUAL LEAD FOR MEDALIST HONORS
SILER CITY-- Hampstead Topsail had an 11-shot lead in the team standings after Mondayís first day of the 12th annual North Carolina High School Athletic Association state 1-A menís golf championships at the Siler City Country Club.
The championship is being contested on a par-72, 6519-yard layout for the NCHSAA event.
Topsail, which was second last year to four-time champion East Surry, recorded a 310 under difficult playing conditions. North Stokes is in second at 321 with Misenheimer Gray Stone Day and Kernersville Bishop McGuinness tied for third at 325.
The best four of six individual scores count toward the team total.
Topsailís David Donovan and Greg Bunner of Gastonia Highland Tech are knotted in the individual standings at 71, two shots ahead of Damon Goin of North Stokes. Donovan finished in a tie for ninth a year ago.
A trio of golfers came in at 75, four shots back, including Ryan Wilson of North Stokes, Ross Burgess of Elkin and Stanhope Johnson of Bishop McGuinness.
Prior to 1986, all NCHSAA schools competed for a single title in an open tournament. Play went to three classifications in 1986 and then to four classes beginning with the 1998 tournaments.
A total of 81 golfers began play in the two-day tournament. Action will resume at eight oíclock on Tuesday morning.
Wendyís is the presenting sponsor of the NCHSAA sports program.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
2009 MENíS 1-A GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS
Siler City Country Club, Siler City
1. Hampstead Topsail 310
2. North Stokes 321
3. Kernersville Bishop McGuinness 325
Misenheimer Gray Stone Day 325
5. Gastonia Highland Tech 327
6. Polk County 336
7. Rosman 353
8. North Johnston 357
9. Williamston 366
10. Midway 369
11. Seven Springs Spring Creek 381
1. Greg Bunner, Gastonia Highland Tech 71
David Donovan, Topsail 71
3. Damon Goin, North Stokes 73
4. Ross Burgess, Elkin 75
Stanhope Johnson, Bishop McGuinness 75
Ryan Wilson, North Stokes 75
7. Andrew Bateman, Andrews 76
Josh Whitehead, Topsail 76
9. Erik Benson, Misenheimer Gray Stone Day 77
10. Health Culbreth, Polk County 78
11. Johnathan Lara, Hobbton 79
Parker Lewis, Hayesville 79
Andrew Ganim, Bishop McGuinness 79
Sarah Almond, Misenheimer Gray Stone Day 79
Braxton Squires, Williamston 79
Zach Beaver, Gastonia Highland Tech 79