Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- 2013 BB&T/NCHSAA Football Championships Central
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Code of Conduct
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
CHAPEL HILL -- Dorian Jones rushed for 157 yards in 22 carries and scored two touchdowns as Newton-Conover rolled past Tarboro 51-28 at Kenan Stadium on Friday night to win the North Carolina High School Athletic Association state 2-A football championship.
Jones was named the Wendy's Most Valuable Player as Newton-Conover finished with a 15-1 record and its first NCHSAA state football crown. Josh Thompson added 106 yards in 15 carries and also completed a 42-yard halfback pass.
After Tarboro had tied the game at 7-7 on a Demarius Harper two-yard run with 10:25 left in the first half, Newton-Conover reeled off 37 unanswered points to take command. Two of those touchdowns came on interception returns for touchdowns after the score reached 31-7, as Joseph Hill and Jordon Bryant both had picks that results in TDs.
The Red Devils rolled up 326 yards in total offense, including 273 on the ground and had 21 first downs to eight for the Vikings.
Tarboro ended the season with a 14-2 record. Brandon Dozier led the Vikings with 137 yards in 10 carries.