Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Code of Conduct
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
CARY -- Former North Carolina High School Athletic Association Board of Directors president Richard Murphy died on Saturday after a battle with cancer at the age of 62.
Murphy was president of the NCHSAA during the 1987-88 academic year, while he was serving as the principal of Sanderson High School in Raleigh. He also served as principal for many years at Leesville Road High School before moving into the Wake County central office. He also served at East Wake as principal and was a teacher and athletic director at Broughton.
Murphy was also an all-American soccer player at Campbell College.
The visitation is Tuesday night from 7 until 9 m at Brown-Wynne Funeral Home in Cary. The funeral is scheduled at 3 pm on Wednesday at Cary First United Methodist Church.
We join with all those who knew Richard in sending our sincerest condolences to the Murphy family.