Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Code of Conduct
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
Providence Grove High School junior setter Lia Johnson put her name into the North Carolina High School Athletic Association record book with a stellar performance last month.
Johnson recorded 73 assists in a match against Asheboro on August 19 to establish a new standard for assists in a single match. Providence Grove took the match 3-1, winning the first two by 25-22 and 25-16, losing 25-19 and then clinching the decision with a 26-24 victory.
The mark was forwarded to the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) by the NCHSAA, since the number of assists in a single match recorded by Johnson would be among the top five nationally. The NFHS verified that it was accepted and will be included in the next edition of the National High School Sports Record Book.
The NCHSAA record book is located elsewhere on the NCHSAA web site, by clicking on the link to the records on the right side of the front page.
Tony Joyce, head volleyball coach at Providence Grove, provided the documentation for the record to be authenticated.