Select a Topic
Information Not Specific to a Sport
- 2013 BB&T/NCHSAA Football Championships Central
- AAA Scholar-Athlete Program
- Accepted Exchange Programs
- Advertise With Us
- Archived Championship Centrals
- Athletes of the Year
- Athletic Directors Information
- Athletic Participation Numbers
- Regional Supervisor Assignments
- Case For High School Athletics
- Code of Conduct
- Core Values and Beliefs
- Ejections Information
- Endowment Corporate Donors
- Hall of Fame
- Health and Safety - (formerly Sports Medicine)
- Heat and Humidity Guidelines
- Host City Partners
- Lighting Standards
- Maps and Directions
- Middle School Information
- Mission Statement
- Open Dates
- Preferred Vendors
- Rules and Regulations
- Severe Weather Guidelines
- Spirit of Sport Award
- Sports Memorabilia Display
- Student Athlete Advisory Council
- Strategic Plan
- Tiebreaking Procedure
- Tobacco, Alcoholic and Controlled Substances
CARY-- Players from Mount Airy High School earned championships in both singles and doubles at the North Carolina High School Athletic Association state 1-A men’s tennis championships on Saturday at the Cary Tennis Center.
It represents the first time since Class A began its own tournament in 1998 that players from the same school have won both singles and doubles state crowns in the same event.
Senior Nicholas John of Mount Airy, who lost only three games in four sets while winning twice on Friday, defeated freshman Tyler Macy of Elkin in a very competitive final, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2. Both players featured displays of real power, but John pulled away in the final set.
John had been in the state championship match in the previous three years but always played doubles, teaming with different players to win state crowns in 2007 and '09 while finishing second in 2008.
In the doubles championship, the Mount Airy pair of Matt Kessler and Brooks Mayberry overcame Will Jackson and George Zhao of Durham's North Carolina School of Science and Math by 6-2, 7-6(4). Mayberry had played with John on last year's state championship doubles duo.
Both doubles teams entered the final unbeaten on the season after each pair won their two matches Friday in straight sets.
Wendy's is the presenting sponsor of the NCHSAA sports program.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
2010 STATE 1-A MEN'S TENNIS TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIPS
Saturday's Results, Cary Tennis Center
Nicholas John (Mount Airy) def. Tyler Macy (Elkin) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2.
Matt Kessler-Brooks Mayberry (Mount Airy) def. Will Jackson-George Zhao (North Carolina School of Science and Math) 6-2, 7-6(4).