FOX FIRE VILLAGE-- Robert Hoadley of Cameron Union Pines was a model of consistency on Tuesday as he took medalist honors in the 22nd annual North Carolina High School Athletic Association state 3-A men’s golf championships at the Fox Fire Resort and Country Club.
The championship was held on the East Course at the Fox Fire Resort and Country Club, a par-72, 6500-yard layout for the NCHSAA event.
Hoadley, who finished in a tie for seventh in last year’s championships, had a two-under par 70 on Monday and duplicated the effort in the final round to finish five shots ahead Drew Page of Waynesville Tuscola and Harold Varner of Gastonia Forestview. Varner took second place on the third playoff hole.
Hickory and Forestview finished the competition knotted at 605 in the team scores, with Hickory winning the tiebreaker by virtue of the fifth player’s total over the two days. The best four of six individual scores count toward the team total.
Hickory was in fourth place after the opening day, but all six of the Red Tornadoes playing Tuesday shot 77 or better.
Rockingham County, the first day team leader, wound up in third at 616, 11 shots back, and Tuscola was fourth at 634.
Prior to 1986, all NCHSAA schools competed for a single title in an open tournament. Play went to three classifications in 1986 and then to four classes beginning with the 1998 tournaments.
A total of 84 golfers participated in the two-day tournament. Wendy’s and the Carolinas Ford Dealers are the presenting sponsors of the NCHSAA sports program.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
2007 MEN’S 3-A GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS
Fox Fire Resort and Country Club
TEAM STANDINGS – FINAL
1. Hickory 313-292—605*
2. Gastonia Forestview 307-298—605
3. Rockingham County 305-312—616
4.Waynesville Tuscola 321-313—634
5. Southern Lee 330-306—636
6. Southeast Guilford 307-330—637
7. Lake Norman 317-322—639
8. Wilson Fike 321-319—640
9. Jamestown Ragsdale 329-318—647
10. West Carteret 329-323—652
11. Burlington Williams 332-335—667
12. SouthWest Edgecombe 324-350—674
*took team title based on fifth player’s score over two days
1. Robert Hoadley, Cameron Union Pines 70-70—140
2. Harold Varner, Gastonia Forestview 75-70—145*
3. Drew Page, Waynesville Tuscola 72-73—145
4. Bryan Colquitt, High Point T.W. Andrews76-70—146
Mike Widman, Jamestown Ragsdale 75-71—146
6. Andrew Davis, Gastonia Forestview 76-72—148
Colin Chapman, Franklin 75-73—148
8. Alex Cauble, Belmont South Point 75-76—151
9. Jack Radley, Southern Lee 78-73—151
10. John Isenhour, Hickory 78-73—151
* took second on third hole of playoff